It is difficult to fathom that it was over 25 years ago that Brent & Kay Foulke, Mark & Barb Wilkinson, and Norm & Andrealea Abbott moved to Albany to start Christ’s Church Guilderland. Jennifer and I joined them in September of 1996.
In the last 25 years, God has used those initial steps of faith to influence countless lives through CCG.
- Thousands of people have attended weekend services at CCG over the past 25 years learning about a God’s grace.
- Hundreds have found support and encouragement through groups.
- Many have felt the satisfaction of investing in others on teams.
- Families in Mexico live in houses because we sent teams to build them.
- Children in Cruz Blanca have meals, education, and the hope of Christ’s love.
- Individuals in Albany, Gaithersburg, MD, Manhattan, Nashua, NH, and many other locations, have a church family due to our generosity (In addition to our financial generosity, we sent many great people to be the core group of the new churches in Albany and Gaithersburg).
- Our community has a clearer picture of God and a deeper understanding of his love because of our acts of service.
While 25 years seems like a long time, and it is awesome to look back on what God has done, Scripture teaches us that 25 years in God’s eyes is usually just a period of preparation.
Last spring, we held four separate Vision Gatherings. We discussed how the world in which CCG was started is dramatically different than the world we find ourselves in today (for example, CCG was started before everyone had the internet in their pocket). At the end of those gatherings, I asked everyone to be praying about how we can be the answer to Jesus’ model prayer of “your kingdom come your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” in this new reality.
While we still do not have all the answers, I can see the beginnings of some of the things that God is leading us toward. There is growing cooperation in the Town of Guilderland among civic leaders, the faith community, and non-profits, to create a more caring community. We are exploring new and varied ways to help guide people. We have growing clarity on the keystone habits that catapult people to live significant stories following Jesus. It has become increasingly clear that what people need most is life-giving friendships, guidance and a deep belief in the astounding love of God.
At the beginning of 2018, we will be celebrating what God has done for the last 25 years and looking forward to the next season of CCG, as we bring God’s kingdom to this changing world.
Before we move into the next season of Christ’s Church, we want to finish the last 25 years on a strong financial note. Our God-sized dream is to raise $215,000 between now and January 31st.
The breakdown is as follows:
- Our projected giving during that period is $92,500 (Our 2017 average monthly generosity is $30,833).
- Through God’s provision and our generosity, we would have to raise an additional $122,500.
What will this generosity enable us to do together?
- We will cover all our normal end of year and beginning of year expenses which includes rent, school & property taxes (yes, we pay taxes), salaries and programming.
- We will be able to substantially bless the teachers and the Cruz Blanca learning center by paying salaries and giving them a year-end gift of $4,000.
- We will be able to help Stadia plant more churches with a year-end gift.
- We will finish our financial commitment ($10,000) to our daughter church, Christ’s Church Albany.
- We will be prepared for where God is leading us in the next season of Christ’s Church Guilderland by securing the seed money to bless our community and lead people to live significant stories following Jesus.
While this seem like a substantial amount to raise in two and a half months, our elders and finance team believe that God is leading us in this direction, and surely God can do more than we can even imagine.
We are excited to see how God works as we invite you to join in this effort in three ways:
- Pray for God’s provision - In Jesus’ model prayer, he teaches us to pray for God to provide our needs physically and spiritually. Something powerful happens when a group of people pray for God to move among them.
- Continue to be generous at your current pace.
- Give a special 25th Anniversary Gift to help us reach this God-sized goal.
(Image Updated Weekly. Last Update 1/11/2018)